The Construction Industry Advisory Group (IAG), convened by the Office of the Victorian Skills Commissioner (OVSC), held its meeting in May 2018. IAG members discussed upcoming industry and sector profiling being conducted in Victoria as well as the key skills related items released in the Victorian budget in early May 2018.
In summary, the Victorian 2018/19 Budget provides:
- $304 million for new TAFE and training places so more Victorians can access training
- $172 million to make training at TAFE free for 30 priority courses
- $44 million to modernise apprenticeships with new training materials, independent final assessments and bring back trade papers to recognise qualifications
- $49.8 million for the Head Start Apprenticeships and Traineeships initiative to give secondary school students the opportunity to learn their trade at school and get a job sooner
- $25.9 million to improve the quality of secondary vocational pathways
- $108.7 million for Careers education in government schools
- $120 million to upgrade and modernise three TAFE facilities in regional Victoria
ForestWorks is contracted to work closely with the OVSC and to assist in the industry engagement process. The Resources, Pulp & Paper Industry Advisory Group will hold its next meeting in early June 2018.